Hong Kong SAR, November 23, 2021: Today the ICTI Ethical Toy Program released the impact report for its 2021 Family-Friendly Spaces Program, the multi-beneficial social initiative designed to improve the lives of manufacturing workers while producing measurable business benefits for manufacturing businesses and their partners. The report outlines the impacts and achievements created by the program, in its sixth year of operation.
Highlights from the impact report:
- A total of 3,200 children and 3,700 working parents received childcare support from the program in the last 6 years
- 31% of migrant parent workers have left a job in the past to take care of their children
- 89% of workers were less worried about their children because of the program
- 94% of workers who participated in the program said they plan to stay in the factory for two years or more
- 63% of participants said their family bond has strengthened thanks to the program
- 100% of managers said the program helped reduce turnover rate (labor shortage challenge)
About the Family-Friendly Spaces (FFS) Program:
- The program was initially created to support the “left-behind children” in Mainland China, a phenomenon which continues to evolve as domestic migrant parent workers have now begun to relocate their children to the towns they work in, creating different kinds of childcare needs
- Companies are inspired with tools to improve employee wellbeing and find solutions to ease operational challenges within the supply chain
- All participating manufacturing businesses (factories) invested to transform areas of their premises into safe, colorful, and fun activity spaces for the children
- The Family-Friendly Spaces program hosted its first writing competition this year, collecting first-hand experiences from children, parents, volunteers and factory management which were transformed into an inspiring bilingual booklet.
IETP Family Friendly Spaces Program
For Manufacturing Business (Factory/Supplier)
Opening a Family-Friendly Space helps to boost retention, productivity and increase worker loyalty – leading to a more stable, committed and efficient workforce. It also sends a clear sign that they are taking ownership of the wellbeing of their employee and the community where they operate.
For Corporate Partner (Brands, Retailers and Others)
Sponsoring the implementation of a Family-Friendly Space in their supplier factories represents an important investment in capability building and worker well-being. It’s an effective way to integrate child rights into their ESG (Environmental, Social, Governance) or Social Impact Investing strategy, and contribute to the UN Sustainable Development Goals (Global Goals/SDGs).
About ICTI Ethical Toy Program
The ICTI Ethical Toy Program (IETP) is the specialist responsible sourcing program for the industry, we go beyond compliance audits to provide assurance, eliminate sustainability risks, and offer social impact investment opportunities in the global supply chain. Our cost-effective, efficient, and scalable solutions support businesses to power start or enhance their ESG journey with confidence. For more, please visit www.ethical.toys